White Bean and Kale Minestrone Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for finishing
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, ends trimmed and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups cooked white beans like Cannellini or Great Northern, separating out 1 cup and smashing the beans with a fork (If you don’t want to cook your own beans, use 2 15oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- piece of rind from a block of Parmigiano Reggiano (1” to 2” piece of rind works great)
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 leaves of curly kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Optional: Top with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and serve with lots of really good toasted bread
In a large stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Stir to coat and cook for 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic and zucchini. Stir to coat and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, stir, and cook for a minute or two. Next, add the cooked beans (whole beans and smashed beans), some sea salt, black pepper, and the Parmigiano Reggiano rind. Add the stock, increase the heat to high and bring it all to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
Add the kale, parsley, and frozen peas. Stir to combine and continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes. Remove the Parmigiano Reggiano rind and discard. Taste. Season as needed with sea salt and black pepper.
Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano. Serve with your favorite bread.