White Bean Turkey Chili
If you love chili but are looking for a healthier option this white bean turkey chili recipe is perfect for you!
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 lb dark meat ground turkey
- 1/8 C chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 3 C chicken stock
- 3 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Toppings: chopped red onion, cilantro leaves, shredded sharp cheddar, chopped scallions, thinly sliced avocados, yogurt or sour cream
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until light brown, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin. Stir to combine. Add 2 tbsp water to help prevent the turkey from sticking to the pan.
Add the turkey and cook until it is no longer pink, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in the chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add the tomatoes, stock, and cannellini beans. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 2-3 hours, or until the chili thickens. Stir in brown sugar. Taste and season with sea salt as necessary. Scoop into individual bowls and serve with an assortment of toppings.