Sweet Summer Corn Risotto
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for finishing
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 ears of corn, corn kernels removed
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups homemade chicken, corn, or veggie stock, heated until hot
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add the corn and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Season with sea salt. Add the Arborio rice, stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the wine and a ladleful of hot stock. Cook, stirring until the liquid is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding the stock, one ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more liquid. Add liquid until the rice is tender, but al dente and the risotto looks creamy, about 18-20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the unsalted butter and the parmigiano reggiano. Taste. Season with sea salt as necessary. Divide the risotto among four bowls. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper, flakey sea salt, and a chiffonade of basil.