Sweet Potato and Cannellini Bean Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 C sweet potato, peeled and cubed (approximately 2 sweet potatoes)
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 C cooked cannellini beans (using canned is fine, just drain them before adding)
- 4 C homemade chicken stock
- 2 C kale, chopped
- Handful of chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
Place the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallot, sweet potato, thyme, some sea salt and black pepper. Stir to coat and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shallots are translucent and vegetables begin to soften.
Add your cannellini beans, chicken stock, the parmesan rind if using, kale, and parsley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper.
Remove Parmigiano Reggiano rind and the stems of the thyme. Scoop into bowls and finish with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.