SUNGOLD TOMATO SAUCE
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 of a small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cups Sungold tomatoes or any cherry tomato, stems removed and cut in half (I leave the super small tomatoes whole)
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to finish (optional)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti or pasta of choice
Fill a large pot with water for the pasta and turn the heat on high. While it is coming to a boil, prepare your sauce.
In a large sauté pan, place your olive oil, garlic, and onion over medium-low heat. Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally so nothing browns until the onions are soft and translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Add the tomatoes and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened, released their juices, and the sauce has started to thicken. Taste and season with sea salt and pepper.
Once the pasta water is boiling, generously season the water with salt and cook the pasta until al dente.
Once the pasta is ready, scoop it directly out of the water and place it into the sauté pan with the sauce. Throw in the basil and gently turn the pasta over and over until it is evenly coated with the sauce.
Divide the pasta into individual bowls and finish with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.