Summer Squash with Pecorino and Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small or 1 medium zucchini, sliced paper-thin on a mandoline
- 2 small or 1 medium yellow squash, sliced paper thin on a mandoline
- 2 C baby arugula, packed
- 2 oz pecorino romano, shaved
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Orange blossom or clover honey
- Italian parsley leaves
In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to combine. Add a generous squeeze of honey, about a teaspoon or two, a large pinch of sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine. Taste. Add more honey or salt as necessary.
To assemble the salad, arrange the arugula at the bottom of a large serving dish. Scatter the thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash on top. Add the shaved pecorino romano or shave it directly over the squash. Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of fresh parsley leaves. Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad. Toss and add more dressing if necessary. Finish with a little freshly ground pepper.