Homemade Refrigerator Dill Pickles
Makes approx. 1 quart of pickles
- 2 lbs pickling cucumbers, washed, scrubbed, and thickly sliced (I used a mixture of different kinds of pickling cucumbers we are growing in the garden)
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1 shallot, peeled and halved
- 1 handful of fresh dill
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 glass quart-sized jar with a tight-fitting lid
In a small pot or sauce pan, add the vinegar, water, cane sugar, pickling salt, shallot, dill, peppercorns, and garlic. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from the heat.
In a clean glass jar, layer the cucumbers with the larger ingredients in the brine like the shallot, garlic cloves, dill, etc until everything is in the jar. Pour the hot liquid into the jar. Put the lid on the jar, make sure it is securely fastened, and leave the jar on the counter to come to room temperature. Once at room temp, place the jar in the refrigerator for a few days before you dive in. Pickles will last for 3-4 weeks in the fridge.