Heirloom Tomatoes with Capers, Toasted Pistachios, and Oregano
- Assorted heirloom tomatoes in various sizes
- Pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- Capers (I used Sicilian capers in sea salt, soaked them in water, and then drained them)
- Fresh oregano, leaves removed
- Lemon zest
- Flakey sea salt
- Black pepper
- Lemon extra virgin olive oil
This is a salad about layering flavor to your taste, so I am not listing quantities, as it will really depend on how much of each flavor you like. To start, I would make a “test” bite to help you achieve the balance of flavor you are looking for. For your test bite, slice a small heirloom tomato, season it with sea salt. Then, sprinkle the pistachios, capers, oregano, some lemon zest, more sea salt, and black pepper in a thin layer on top. Drizzle with olive oil. Taste and assess if you want more or less of anything as you build the larger salad.
I like to spread out the tomatoes in one single layer on a flat plate so that each piece gets a little bit of everything on it. Add the toppings as you like and drizzle with lots of delicious extra virgin olive oil.