Healing Cabbage Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, quartered, and finely diced
- 3 celery ribs, ends trimmed, and finely diced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced (I used Japanese sweet potatoes)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1–2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1-inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sun gold tomatoes, stems removed (you can leave them whole as they will break down while cooking)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4–6 cups chicken or veggie stock depending on how soupy you want it to be
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Basil or Italian parsley leaves, thinly sliced
In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and sweet potato. Stir, season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and cook for 5 minutes to start to soften the veggies.
Next, add the garlic, ginger, and turmeric and stir to combine. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage, stir to coat, and cook until the cabbage starts to wilt down, another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, frozen peas, and give a stir.
Next, add your stock of choice and a big pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Taste. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with fresh basil or parsley on top and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.