- 4 C loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 C high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp raw pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, cut in half, with center stem of clove removed
- Sea salt
- A few ice cubes (@ninoasaroil tip for keeping the pesto bright green)
- 1/2 C freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1/4 C freshly grated pecorino romano
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (optional)
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- Reserved pasta water
Place the garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, ice cubes, basil, and a pinch of sea salt in a blender. Blend for several minutes or until the pesto reaches a creamy, smooth consistency. Scrape down the sides and blend for another 30 seconds.
In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt with sea salt and cook your pasta until al dente. Pour the pesto into a mixing bowl that is large enough to accommodate the pasta as well. Gently fold in the Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino Romano, and softened butter (if using). Taste and season with more sea salt if necessary.
Add the hot pasta directly into the mixing bowl. Stir to coat. Slowly add a little bit of pasta water until you get a creamy sauce coating the pasta. Pour into individual serving bowls.