Curly Kale and Wild Rice Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, fronds removed, outer layer peeled, and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- 1 cup cooked or canned cannellini beans or great northern beans (drain and rinse before adding if using canned)
- 5–6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups curly kale, leaves torn into bite size pieces (pack it down to make two, dense cups of kale)
- 2 cups cooked wild rice (you can also use brown or white rice if that is all you have)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: Top with Parmigiano Reggiano and a drizzle of olive oil
In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and fennel. Cook for 6-8 minutes until tender. Add the rosemary, thyme, and cannellini beans. Stir to coat and season with sea salt and black pepper. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the kale, and cook for 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted. Add the rice and cook for 5 minutes more. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.