Classic Chicken Soup
If you are looking for one of the best homemade chicken noodle soup recipes there are, this is the one!
- 1 chicken breast, bone in and skin on
- 1 1/2 quarts homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 medium onion + 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled + 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk + 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 parsnip peeled
- 1 handful parsley sprigs
- 1/2 lb egg pasta (I used the mini bows)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
In a medium pot, combine 1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock, chicken breast, 1/2 onion, 1 peeled carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1 peeled parsnip, and a handful of parsley sprigs. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a gentle simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
Turn the broth off, remove the chicken to a plate, and discard all the vegetables. Season the broth with salt and pepper to taste. When the chicken has cooled, shred the meat into bite-size pieces and discard the bone and skin. Set aside.
In another medium pot, add diced carrot, celery, and onion. Cover with the hot broth and cook at a simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and tender. While these vegetables are simmering, cook your pasta in a separate pot filled with water, as instructed on the package, strain, and set aside. Once the vegetables are finished cooking, add the shredded chicken, dill, and pasta. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.