Makes 2 quarts
- 4 lb beef bones (ask your local butcher)
- 1 yellow onion, halved
- 1 – 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, unpeeled, halved
- 3 carrots, unpeeled, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 parsnips, unpeeled, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and cut into chunks
- 1–2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper
Feel free to improvise with the veggies. If you have things on hand like leeks or fennel, throw them in too!
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the bones in an oven poof stockpot. Add the onion and ginger and cook for 30 minutes, or until bones start to brown and juice begins to collect in the bottom of the pan. Remove from the oven.
Add your veggies, apple cider vinegar, cloves, and peppercorns. Cover the ingredients with 3 liters of water. Place the pan on the stovetop and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-4 hours.