- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, sliced into 1/4” wide rounds
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock, heated until hot (preferably homemade)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for serving
- Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the asparagus and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with sea salt. Add the rice, stir, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the rice is opaque.
Add the white wine and a ladleful of hot stock. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding the stock one ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more liquid. Add liquid until the rice is tender but al dente and the risotto looks creamy, about 18-20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the butter, the Parmigiano Reggiano, and the chopped parsley. Taste. Season with sea salt as necessary. Divide the risotto among four bowls. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, a small sprinkle of parsley, and finish with black pepper. Serve with Parmigiano Reggiano.